Trading hours Hong Kong Trade Stock exchange (HSI)
Hong Kong still has a unique status within China. This unique status has contributed greatly to the success of the Hong Kong economy and the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. The Hong Kong Stock Exchange is not always open. Take a look at the opening hours of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange on this page and find out on which days investing in shares at the Hong Kong Stock Exchange is not possible.
What are the trading hours of the Hong Kong stock exchange?
Like all other stock exchanges, the Hong Kong Stock Exchange is not constantly open. Below you can see from when to when you can trade in shares at the Hong Kong stock exchange. At the Hong Kong Stock Exchange there are two sessions. The stock exchange closes for lunch. The morning session runs from:
- The Hong Kong Stock Exchange is open from 9:30 to 12:00 local time.
- The Hong Kong stock exchange is open from ##T|1:30## to ##T|4:00## in your time zone.
After lunch, the official trade continues at the stock exchange. The times for the afternoon session are:
- The afternoon session lasts from 13:00 to 15:00 local time.
- The afternoon session lasts from ##T|5:00##to ##T|8:00## in your time zone.
The Hong Kong Stock Exchange is one of the largest stock exchanges in the world. So it can certainly be interesting to keep a close eye on this stock exchange.
When does the Hong Kong Stock Exchange open/close?
In the timer below you can see when the stock exchange will open or close again. This way you are always ready for a new trading session!
When does the Hong Kong Stock Exchange close?
The Hong Kong stock exchange closes every weekend. However, there are also a number of special public holidays on which the Hong Kong Stock exchange remains closed. Below you can see the days on which the Hong Kong Stock exchange remains closed:
- 1 January – New Year’s Day
- 11 to 15 January – New Year’s Day
- 2 April – Good Friday
- 5 April – Qingming Festival
- 6 April – Easter
- 16 May – national day
- 14 June – Dragon Boat Festival
- 1 July – Special Administrative Region Establishment Day
- 22 September – national day
- 1 – national day
- 14 October – national day
- 24 & 25 December – Christmas
- 31 December – New Year
- 1 January 2020 – New Year’s Day
- 24 to 28 January 2020 – New Year’s Day
- 10 April 2020 – Good Friday
- 13 April 2020 – Easter Monday
- 30 April 2020 – birthday of Buddha
- 1 May 2020 – Labour Day
- 25 June 2020 – Dragon Boat Festival
- 1 July 2020 – Special Administrative Region Establishment Day
- 1 October 2020 – national day
- 2 October 2020 – Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival
- 26 October 2020 – Chung Yeung Festival
- 24 & 25 December 2020 – Christmas
- 31 December 2020 – New Year
Incidentally, the Hong Kong Stock Exchange is not always completely closed on these days. On 24 January 2020 the stock exchange will open between 9:30 and 12:00 local time. Also, at Christmas on 24 December 2020 and at New Year’s Eve on 31 December 2020, the stock exchange will open shortly from 9:30 to12:00 local time. In Hong Kong there are many special days on which the stock exchange closes. It is wise to take this into account when investing in Hong Kong.
What are the trading hours of the Hang Seng Index?
The Hang Seng Index or HSI in full is the most important index of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. The 50 companies within this index contain more than half of the total market capitalization of the Hong Kong stock market.
But what are the trading hours of the Hang Seng Index or HSI? The opening hours of this index are exactly the same as those of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. At the top of this page you can clearly see during which sessions you can trade in the Hang Seng Index.
Investing in Hong Kong
Hong Kong falls into a special region within China, giving international investors easy access to the market. As an investor, you can therefore easily open positions on the Hong Kong stock exchange. However, it is wise to pay attention to the costs involved. After all, not every broker is equally cheap. With eToro you can buy shares without paying commissions. Use the button below to directly open an account with eToro:Your capital is at risk. Other fees apply. For more information, visit etoro.com/trading/fees.
What currency is used on the Hong Kong stock exchange?
Shares on the Hong Kong stock exchange are traded in the Hong Kong dollar. Please note that your investment may decrease in value as your currency strengthens in relation to the Hong Kong currency.
Where can you find the Hong Kong Stock Exchange?
The Hong Kong Stock Exchange can be found in Hong Kong. You can visit the website of the stock exchange here. The full address details are here:
- Exchange Square Block 1 And 2
- 8號 25 Connaught Pl,
- Mid-Levels, Hong Kong
You can also reach the stock exchange via email@example.com or +46 8 405 60 00.