Trading hours New York Stock Exchange (NYSE)
The NYSE is not only a very well-known stock exchange in America. The NYSE is also the largest stock exchange in the world in terms of value. But when exactly will the NYSE open? You can find the American as well as the Dutch opening hours of this stock exchange here. We also look at which special days the NYSE is closed.
When will the NYSE open?
The NYSE opens at 9:30 American time and closes at 16:00 local time. This means you can buy shares on the NYSE from ##T|14:30## until ##T|21:00## in your time zone.
When is the pre-market or early trading session NYSE?
You can also choose to invest in the NYSE before the official opening hours. This is also called investing in the stock exchange. Already in the pre-market session that starts at 6:30 local time it is possible to place orders.
The early trading session then starts at 7 a.m. and lasts until 9:30.
When is the aftermarket or late trading session NYSE?
Is the NYSE already closed, but aren’t you done yet? Then you can make use of the late trading session. This session runs from 16:00 to 20:00 local time.
Even after closing, you can still invest on the NASDAQ at many brokers. The times for this are from 16:00 to 20:00. in the evening. At the late session the transaction costs can be higher because of the low volume.
When does the NYSE open/close?
In the timer below you can see when the stock exchange will open or close again. This way you are always ready for a new trading session!
On what days does the NYSE close?
The NYSE is not open all year round. But when can you not invest on the NYSE? Below is a list of the days when there is no trading on the New York Stock Exchange:
- New Year’s Day (1 January)
- Martin Luter King Junior day (18 January)
- Washington Birthday (15 February)
- Good Friday (2 April)
- Memorial Day (31 May)
- Independence Day (5 July)
- Labor day (6 September)
- Thanksgiving Day (25 November)
- Market Holiday (26 November)
- Christmas Day (24 December)
- New Years Day (1 January 2020)
- Martin Luter King Junior day (20 January 2020)
- Washington Birthday (17 February 2020)
- Good Friday (10 April 2020)
- Memorial Day (25 May 2020)
- Independence Day (3 July 2020)
- Labor day (7 September 2020)
- Thanksgiving Day (26 November 2020)
- Christmas day (25 December 2020)
It goes without saying that the NASDAQ can also be closed unexpectedly. This happens, for example, after a shocking event. The purpose of the closure is then to prevent a total crash of the markets.
What are the trading hours of NYSE Chicago?
- From 6:30 7:00 you can already place orders.
- From 7:00 to 9:00 there is the early trading session.
- From 9:30 to 16:00 the normal trading session is active.
- From 16:00 to 20:00 the late session is active.
What are the opening hours of NYSE American options?
- Equity options from 9:30 a.m. to 16:00.
- EFT options from 9:30 to 16:00.
- Index options from 9:30 to 16:00.
- ETN options (GAZ, OIL, VXX, VXZ) from 9:30 to 16:15.
- There is a list of EFT options open until 16:15 instead of the usual 16:30. This means you can trade these options until 21:45 instead of 22:00. The following EFTs are included: DBA, DBB, DBC, DBO, DIA, EEM, IWM, IWN, IWO, KBE, KRE, MDY, MOO, QQQ, SLX, SPY, SVXY, UUP, UNG, UVXY, VIXY, XHB, XLB, XLE, XLF, XLI, XLK, XLP, XLU, XLV, XLY, XME, XRT.
Where can you invest in the NYSE?
Do you want to invest in shares listed on the NYSE? Then it is important to choose a reliable broker! Below is an overview of brokers where you can try investing in the NYSE:
Useful links: start trading directly!
- Do you want to try trading for free without any risk?
Open a free demo: click here and receive your free unlimited demo!
- Compare the best brokers & begin immediately
Compare the best options? compare brokers >> >>
Tip: try trading for free with a demo
Tip: try trading for free with a demo