How to buy Philip Morris stocks (2023)?
The tobacco industry has been enormously profitable for decades. As a brand, you quickly build up a loyal customer base, as cigarettes are addictive. An investment in a company like Philip Morris can be appealing. In this article, we will look at how to buy Philips Morris shares. You can also find the latest stock price of Philip Morris on this page.
Tobacco is often discredited. This is not surprising when you consider that many people die from smoking every year: in the United States alone, nearly half a million people die annually. However, this does not deter investors, as the stocks still perform well.
Are you looking for a good broker to buy Philip Morris shares? Then we’re happy to help you get started:
|Buy Philip Morris without commissions. Your capital is at risk. Other fees may apply.|
|Speculate with CFD's on increasing & decreasing prices of Philip Morris! 82% of retail CFD accounts lose money.|
|Benefit from low fees, an innovative platform & high security!|
|Speculate on price increases and decreases of Philip Morris with a free demo!|
What is the stock price of Philip Morris?
Due to recent news, Philip Morris shares can fluctuate significantly in value. In the chart below, you can see how the Philip Morris stock has performed in recent times. You can open an investment with the buttons whenever you want.
Company details of Philip Morris
Below, you can see the main company details of Philip Morris.
Before deciding whether to buy or sell Philip Morris stocks, it is important to analyze the stock thoroughly. In the overview below, you can see how Philip Morris performed over the past period.
Stock prices of Philip Morris of the last 5 days
In the table below, you can see the stock prices of Philip Morris of the last 5 days:
What will the Philip Morris stock price do in 2023?
Are you curious about what analysts think Philip Morris will do in 2023 and the following years? We have combined the predictions of analysts using Alpha Vantage data. Remember that this figure is only a prediction about the stock price of Philip Morris, and that this prediction does not necessarily have to come true.
- Strong brand: Philip Morris owns various well-known cigarette brands including Marlboro.
- Large market share: Philip Morris has built up a large market share, especially in Asia and Eastern Europe, which allows it to benefit from economies of scale.
- Focus on ‘healthier’ products: Philip Morris tries to keep up with the times by introducing e-cigarettes and heated tobacco to the market.
- Experience with regulation: Philip Morris has a lot of experience with international tobacco regulation, which allows it to achieve good results despite strict laws.
The risks of investing in Philip Morris stocks
- Risk of declining popularity: Smoking is becoming less popular, especially in the Western world. Anti-tobacco legislation can have a negative impact on the company’s profitability.
- Regulation: New rules for the sale of cigarettes can put pressure on the company’s profitability.
- Reputation: The tobacco industry has a bad reputation, which could have negative consequences for Philip Morris.
- Competition: Philip Morris faces intense competition from other tobacco companies. As packaging becomes more standardized, it becomes more difficult for Philip Morris to compete actively.
- Dependency on new products: Philip Morris is becoming increasingly dependent on reduced-risk products. Problems with these products could put pressure on the company’s profitability in the future.
What are the competitors of Philip Morris?
- British American Tobacco
- Japan Tobacco
- Imperial Brands
- China National Tobacco
- Altria Group
- Research the stock: Compare Philip Morris with competitors to determine if it could be an interesting investment.
- Open an investment account: Compare various brokers and open a stock account directly.
- Select the stock: Navigate within the platform to the Philip Morris stock and enter the amount you want to invest.
- Buy Philip Morris stock: Then click “buy” to purchase Philip Morris stock directly at the prevailing price.
- Evaluate your investment: Don’t forget to evaluate your investment regularly.
About the company Philip Morris
One of the largest tobacco producers on the planet is named “Philip Morris.” The company, Philip Morris International Inc., is currently active in 180 different countries. The company was founded in 1847 and has various subsidiaries.
Philip Morris has specialized in not only manufacturing, but also selling cigarettes and various other tobacco products. Philip Morris shares are listed on the New York Stock Exchange with the ticker symbol “PM.”
One of the world’s largest tobacco producers
Many cigarette brands are well-known and popular, including Marlboro, L&M, and Chesterfield. This also applies to the Philip Morris brand.
Philip Morris also produces tobacco vaporization products and solutions where tobacco is heated instead of burned. The company has marketed these products under the name of “reduced-risk products” because they are less harmful than regular cigarettes.
The history of Philip Morris
Philip Morris was founded in 1847. The company is headquartered in New York, but also has an operations centre in Lausanne, Switzerland. Initially, Philip Morris was a division of the Altria Group. As of March 31, 2008, the company received its listing on the Euronext stock exchange in New York and Paris.
From that moment on, Philip Morris continued as a fully independent company. The split of the two companies was done by regions. Altria would remain active in the United States, while international activities were placed under Philip Morris.
Lawsuit against the Australian government
A dark chapter in the history of Philip Morris began in 2011 when the company chose to file a lawsuit against the country of Australia. According to Philip Morris, Australia had not adhered to the free trade agreements that both parties had agreed to.
The Australian government had decided to place pictures of lung cancer patients on cigarette packages. The case received a lot of attention, and opponents of arbitration used it as an example to show the negative consequences of free trade. In the end, Australia did not have to pay compensation to Philip Morris.
Is it wise to invest in Philip Morris stock?
For years, Philip Morris has been one of the most important international tobacco producers. It is no coincidence that this company has expanded its activities to 180 different countries over the years. This more or less fixed position that Philip Morris has been able to conquer within the tobacco production sector, has made the company seen as a relatively safe investment. The brand enjoys sufficient recognition, which means that regular smokers often choose the same brand.
Although Philip Morris is characterized by a solid market position and relatively stable revenue, there are also significant risks to consider. These risks actually apply to all companies in the tobacco sector. Companies are required to place gruesome photos and prominent warnings on cigarette packaging. These are expected to eventually encourage people to quit smoking tobacco. If people quit smoking, it can greatly affect Philip Morris’s business results. Moreover, this makes it more difficult to attract new customers to the brand.
However, Philips Morris is responding to this development by acknowledging the health risks. Nowadays, they sell products that are less harmful to the health. The new products heat the tobacco less, which releases fewer harmful chemicals. These products are currently especially popular in Japan, but as people become more aware of the health risks, they may become more popular elsewhere as well.
One advantage of investing in Philip Morris stocks, is that tobacco performs relatively well even in economic downturns. Users are often addicted to cigarettes and do not easily give up their smoking habit. Moreover, people tend to smoke more in stressful times. This makes the stock a relatively safe choice during economic crises.
An investment in Philip Morris can certainly be attractive. However, you should consider whether you feel ethically challenged to invest in a tobacco producer. People are increasingly interested in investing in socially responsible companies. If this trend continues, more investors may decide to sell their shares, which could put pressure on the stock price.
When I was 16, I secretly bought my first stock. Since that ‘proud moment’ I have been managing trading.info for over 10 years. It is my goal to educate people about financial freedom. After my studies business administration and psychology, I decided to put all my time in developing this website. Since I love to travel, I work from all over the world. Click here to read more about trading.info! Don’t hesitate to leave a comment under this article.